Sunday, January 10, 2010

Seventeen Magazine


Seventeen Magazine should be retitled to Twentyseven Magazine, at least. As I flipped through the pages I saw somethings that are completely inappropriate for any seventeen year old to be reading. The sad thing about it is that girls are most likely reading this magazine earlier than seventeen, more like twelve. I plan on making sure that my girls never get thier hands on this magazine and hope that parents will pay attention to what thier children are reading.

2 comments:

  1. What articles did you find inappropriate? I can't remember the last time I opened a magazine...what was in it? Should I stay more aware?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I've now been in Communications Theory courses and have learned a ton more about journalism, advertising, etc. Apparently that is the point. Those magazines are trying to appeal to those who wish to be seventeen (not those who actually are); and magazines that look like they are for older adults are geared towards the seventeen year olds. Depressing. Other research has found that sexual behaviors are now normative in adolescence. This may account for the content that many of us feel is inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete